Military Event Requests
ASOM COVID-19 Considerations for Events (effective January 14, 2021)
Due to COVID-19, the Museum will not host any military events until after May 1, 2021. Additionally, we will only be accepting changes of command/responsibility events at this time, and will no longer provide space for retirements or promotions until further notice.
Military events include:
- Changes of Command
The theater features 230 upholstered seats with ample handicap spaces in a stadium style configuration. A 30 foot by 40-foot screen covers the main wall. Several large format movies designed and filmed for the museum shows modern airborne and special operations units in action. The theater is available for viewing the museum’s film, formal ceremonies, or program seminars. No food or beverages allowed.
The museum has a smaller theater that is used to show a rotating collection of educational and entertaining films related to the airborne and special operations. There are 40 fixed, upholstered, theater style seats facing an area with ample space for presentations. No food or beverages permitted.
Lobby and Special Exhibit Gallery
The lobby is 5,000 square feet of terrazzo floor that is highlighted by five-story glass walls and 16 large round columns. In the center of it all is a fully deployed parachute and paratrooper behind a brushed aluminum rail. A second parachute is deployed overhead, and unit lineages and honors grace the walls. The adjoining Special Exhibit Gallery without an exhibit display can accommodate 110 guests for a standing reception. The lobby area accommodates 300 guests reception style, or 150 guests seated at round tables. The lobby has restricted use during the normal hours of operation of the museum.
Located on the Hay Street side of the museum, the gardens are a fresh air way to experience the museum. The walkways are lined with granite pavers engraved with the names of soldiers, family members, and other supporters of the museum.
General Facility Guidelines for Official Military Events:
- Events are free of charge
- Requestor is responsible for providing all event equipment to include tables, chairs, podium, flags, etc.
- ASOM does not provide AV support. Requestor must bring all projectors, computers, PA systems etc.
- Due to limited space and high demand, events are limited to two-hour time blocks
- Requestor will clean the area and remove all trash from inside and outside of the facility.
- There is no food or drink allowed inside of the Museum.
- The ASOM is a public institution, the event cannot disrupt normal museum operations or public access.
- ASOM front doors will remain locked until museum opening time unless requesting organization posts personnel at the door to monitor entry into the museum (and prevent unauthorized entry).
- Events must be concluded, area cleaned etc. NLT 1600
The Airborne and Special Operations Museum is a U.S. Army Museum with the mission to collect, preserve, research, accurately interpret, and communicate the U.S. Army’s airborne and special operations history and material culture from 1940 to the present. We try to accommodate all Military event requests from Active Duty Military Personnel. Please keep in mind that we are a museum first and foremost with a small staff and limited budget.